Thursday, April 21, 2011

Be Thrifty!

If you enjoy the quality of designer clothing but don't enjoy the price, have no fear there is a solution to your problem. Thrift stores!

Thrifting is great because you never know what you are going to find. One man's trash is another man's treasure and I for one love finding little treasures that have been discarded by others. I also love finding new or lightly used fashion for a fraction of the price. But my favorite thing about thrifting is finding vintage clothing. Finding a vintage piece made before I was born is fascinating and I can't help but wonder the story behind it.

Here are a few of my favorite vintage shops.
www.etsy.com ~~~ Etsy is very similar to Ebay and is much cheaper than Modcloth. It is the perfect site to buy or sell vintage and handmade clothing, accessories, shoes, home decorations, and much much more. 

www.modcloth.com ~~~This is a good place to buy vintage and mod style clothing, shoe's, accessories, and home decorations. It is however a bit expensive.



www.secondtimearound.net
 ~~~ I love this store. They sell a lot of lightly used designer clothing and shoes. I recently bought a pair of Habitual premium jeans ( which usually cost around $200) for $20!  There are stores located on Newbury Street and in Harvard sq. 

*side note: that not everything is used at thrift stores. Many times people sell new designer things to thrift stores*

3 comments:

  1. Great advice, Mabel. I have a friend who works at a high-end consignment store, and there is so much new goods being consigned there. Prada, Louis, Coco, you name it and it is there at a fraction of the retail price.
    The store is called Designer Consigner and it is on Route 9 in Natick if you are ever in that neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like going into vintage clothing stores as well, and used to enjoy helping my (now ex-) wife find outfits to go ballroom dancing in. Like you, I find it unavoidable to think of the past histories of the items you find, and I think that that somehow imparts a certain personality to the item it wouldn't normally have (if it were bought new.) There's a great place--if you're ever in RI--called Glitz in Scituate, RI. It's on Danielson Pike in North Scituate. I think the guy's name is Sacha, and he's a wealth of knowledge and very personable.

    I have enjoyed your articles so far. They are imformative and have a good tone--a successful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Etsy's an interesting site. Lots of stuff that I think is kind of neat. Lots of stuff that is neat but I'd never spend money on. And tons and tons of stuff that make me scratch my head and say, "Reeeally?"

    ReplyDelete